Thursday, August 19, 2010

Tin Can Headboard

So I’ve been quasi working on our 2nd guestroom whenever I have a chance. I say quasi because this room hasn’t really been on my radar because we have another guest room that’s finished were guests can stay. You can see “The Audrey Room” if you click here. However, the other day I found out Griff’s family is coming to stay with us Labor Day weekend so I had to kick it into high gear and get this puppy ready for some company. First off, the bed in this room is lacking a headboard. And since I haven’t been in a rush to go out and buy one I thought I’d shop my house and see what I could come up with. I’m glad I did cause I love what I came up with!

A long time ago, when I first moved to Austin actually, I needed a headboard for my bed. And since I was a poor bartender I didn’t have a ton of cash. I found 3 wall tins at Garden Ridge that I thought I could turn into a headboard. I did, and they looked awesome. Then I got a headboard and didn’t need them anymore, but I kept the tins and they made an occasional appearance from rent house to rent house, but never really had a home. Until now.

Here are the tins laid out in my garage about to get a bath with my new favorite friend, Krylon’s Brushed Metallic Spray Paint in Oil Rubbed Bronze satin finish.

001 003

The enjoyed their bath. They told me so.

Here they are freshly painted, drying and already looking gorgeous! I love that the deeper color really brought out the hammered detail. Muah.

004 005

Once they dried I took them to their new home. Now I must confess, I’m an eye baller when it comes to hanging things on the wall. I did not inherit my Dad’s need to measure the distance between each piece to make sure it’s perfectly even. I’m from the school of “it looks straight, then it’s straight”. No exception here, I eye balled the tins and began nailing. The tins are not perfectly straight, if you look closely at them. But by eye ball measures it’s straight as an arrow. And hey, if you’re looking that closely to things in my house then you don’t need to be in my house… or my friend for that matter.

Here are the tins all painted, hung and loving their new home in what we are calling the Fleur de Lis bedroom. Mainly because we have a fleur de lis coverlet on the bed in this room, and because Griff is from the great fleur de lis state of Louisiana.

008 007

There are still some accessories that need to be bought and placed in the room but that will come with time. Definitely some fleur de lis will be making their way onto the walls and into the accessories. Maybe Griff’s LSU helmet too… maybe.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love the headboard. JEALOUS is a better word. Will you make me one? ;)

    ReplyDelete