Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Crotchety

Yes, it’s a word. Look it up, I did. Or for those of you who are thinking… “Why should I look it up when clearly you are gonna tell me”, here goes. So yesterday, a co-worker used the word “coot”, in the sentence, “you crazy coot!” And I being the kind of person to quickly point of people’s mistakes, I corrected her and told her that I believe the saying is “you crazy kook”, not “coot”. She agreed with me but we both wondered if “coot” was in fact even a word. Thanks to my live in dictionary, Amy, moving out, I now must resort to dictionary.com whenever I need to check, I mean, correct my spelling. We looked it up and discovered that indeed “coot” is a word. Allow me to elaborate:

coot
–noun
1. any aquatic bird of the genus Fulica, as F. americana, of North America, and F.
atra, of the Old World, characterized by lobate toes and short wings and tail.
2. any of various other swimming or diving birds, esp. the scoters.
3. Informal. a foolish or crotchety person, esp. one who is old.

Perhaps I should look into purchasing some Word of the Day toilet paper.
{You won't believe this, but I could NOT find a picture!!} However I come across this website. Wow. I had no idea there was such a market for personalized toilet paper.

Or this little gem I just discovered … Sudoku Toilet Paper!

Anyhoo, seeing how I was intrigued by the new addition to my vast growing vocabulary, I decided to jump on over to urbandictionary.com to see what wealth of information they offered for my new word friend. {If you have never been to this website you need to check it out! Mainly because they use the word in a sentence and the sentences are usually hysterical!} See example below, {these are just a few}:


coot

1. A dark-gray water dwelling bird resembling a duck.
2. A foolish old man.
3. Seeing how the USC football sucks so consistently, it seems rather offending to

good poultry everywhere to call them Gamecocks, so a "coot" is a much more

realistic symbol for such an inept football program.

1) “Any coots arrested today?”
2) “He meant jorts, as in jean shorts; you know, the staple of every Coot's wardrobe.”

4. A slang term referring to a middle-aged or old person. Could be insulting

depending on intent.

1) "That old coot."


OK, are you still with me? You should be, because all of the above brings me to the real reason for this post; by far the most fabulous word of the day!! {You probably already guess from the title of the post}, but never the less, here it is! Crotchety! Isn’t that a fantastic word?! I mean, it has the word crotch embedded into the word! What more do you need?! That in itself makes it spectacular!{By now you all know I have a 12 year old boy’s sense of humor and find this downright funny!} Now you might have heard of this word before, and if so, just shut up and let me have my moment. Here is the dictionary.com definition of the word:


crotch-et-y

–adjective

1. given to odd notions, whims, grouchiness, etc.

2. of the nature of a crotchet.

—Related forms

crotch·et·i·ness, noun

—Synonyms
1. fussy, eccentric, grouchy.

Bore-ring. Now for the more enjoyable definition of this fabulous word… from our good friends at where else but urbandictionary.com… {Sentence examples #3 & #4 are my personal favorites!}


crotchety

1. An adjective used to describe an old person. More specifically, someone who seems to hate life in their

"golden years" and feels the need to take it out on others. These are the people that should be sent into the

surface of the sun.

2. Grumpy, bitchy, cow-faced, describing an old person

3. Of or pertaining to the crotchular region.

4. Of a sexually promiscuous nature.

1) “Look at that crotchety old bastard! He sure is mean!”

2) “Drive faster you crotchety old lady!”

3) “Ray-Ray was experiencing a crotchety itch, so he jiggied on down to the clinic on the co-nah.

4) "Daaaaymn, son, Sha-nay-nay is one crotchety ho'!" said one young urbanite to his homie.


Surface of the sun?! I mean really! That’s awesome! And are you kidding?!! Sha-nay-nay? I mean, we always knew she was a crotchety ho, but now we have internet proof! And remember kids, we must always believe what we read on the internet.


So my dear friends, let us recap what we have we learned today? Coot is in fact an actual word, not only can you learn new and exciting words whilst you “take care of business” but you can also brush up on your arithmetic, Ray-Ray took care of his itch, and most importantly, that Sha-nay-nay is a crotchety ho.


Happy Hump Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment